I was wondering if there would be lots of updates to Ubuntu leading up to the release of 11/4 and thought I could data mine this to find out. So I made a visualization to see if that was the case, turns out the opposite is true. There has been a distinct lack of updates in the last couple of months. At least in the main repository.

Heres the visualization I made.

To do this I searched the changelogs for all packages from changelogs.ubuntu.com for the time stamps. Then I took the average of each week in the month to smooth it.

Heres how I did it.

#First download the changelogs.ubuntu website, only use the main pool. 
wget -m -np -r http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/
 #Search for all time stamps and print them out.
egrep -o -r -e "[A-Z][a-z]{2}, [0-9]{0,2} [A-Z][a-z]{2} [0-9]{4}"  > dates.main

I then wrote  a python script to count how many dates were in each week and average that over the month.
#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys,time
dates_in = {}
for line in sys.stdin.readlines():
    line = line.rstrip()
    if line in dates_in:
        dates_in[line] = dates_in[line]+1
        dates_in[line] = 1
month_counts = {}
for dateS,count in dates_in.items():
    date =time.strptime(dateS, "%d %b %Y")
    month_date = "%d/01/%d" % (date.tm_mon,date.tm_year)
    if month_date in month_counts:
        month_counts[month_date] = month_counts[month_date] + [count]
        month_counts[month_date] = [count]
for dateS,count in month_counts.items():
    print dateS+","+str(sum(count)/len(count))

Run that on the downloaded changelogs.
python data.py < dump/dates.main > weekly.avg.pr.month.csv 
 Then I imported that csv into google docs to make the graph.